Amy is running for the Sequoia Union High School District Board to continue her efforts to ensure that every student is successful in a safe and inclusive school environment. She will bring to the seat a wealth of experience spanning local, county-wide, and state-wide leadership - she is a connector and coalition builder whose empathy brings people together.
Amy is a changemaker who thrives on creating something out of nothing and leaving the world a better place. She is not just innovative, but also analytical and action oriented in problem solving. Her enthusiasm and focus on continuous improvement is valued by everyone impacted by her work. She is guided by her north star that every child has potential, and we need to tap into every child's passion to make that greatness a reality.
All Means All
Amy's Priorities for the Sequoia Union High School District
- Improve the communication, engagement, and collaboration of all stakeholders
- Support the recruitment and retention of great teachers from diverse backgrounds
- Ensure fiscal responsibility and efficient operations
- Foster a safe, inclusive learning environment so every student can be successful
Amy's Achievements in the Belmont-Redwood Shores School District
- 2 Time President of the BRSSD Board
- Initiated the annual New Family Orientation night
- Drove improved district communications
- Supported Facilities Planning to handle enrollment growth
- Championed Strategic Planning and Equity Policy efforts
- Advocated for Interest Based Bargaining with unions
- Oversaw a smooth transition of Superintendent / Cabinet team
- Led the district safely back to in person learning
- Bond measure / Parcel tax committee member
- Co-Chair of Kent Awards to celebrate educational best practices
- Mentor to new school board members in San Mateo County
- Art in Action docent
- Robotics Tournament Judge
Amy Koo has served on the Belmont-Redwood Shores School Board since 2013. She is the California School Boards Association (CSBA) Director at Large, Asian Pacific Islander, and serves on the boards of the San Mateo County School Boards Association and the Asian Pacific Islander School Board Members Association (APISBMA). With APISBMA, she co-led the effort to ensure an inclusive AAPI unit in the Ethnic Studies Model Curriculum and currently serves as the chair of the Education and Curriculum Committee.
Amy works full time as an Associate Director of Hepatitis B Marketing at Gilead Sciences, a pharmaceutical company headquartered in Foster City and previously held positions in Managed Markets Analytics and Trade Strategy. She served for three years on the leadership team of the Women at Gilead employee resource group which supports the career growth of women. She also served for two years on an Inclusion and Diversity Talent Development and Advancement team that designed and piloted a stretch project program that was the basis for a Commercial-wide program to increase visibility of development opportunities for non-traditional candidates. Amy has a passion for ensuring that everyone reaches their full potential through an inclusive, supportive, and collaborative environment.
Amy is a 4th generation San Franciscan who holds a BS degree from MIT and MBA/MS degrees from Stanford. In her spare time, she enjoys singing/music, volleyball, traveling, and cheering for the Giants, 49ers, and Warriors. She lives in Redwood Shores with her husband, two sons, and two cats.